Six Kenyan universities including Kenyatta University have received their Vice-Chancellors.
The VCs are normally appointed by the Education CS but are subject to approval by the varsity board.
The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology requires that only full professors and distinguished administrators can be appointed to the positions.
Previously each university council would set up qualifications and criteria for appointment and associate professors or those with less qualifications could be appointed.
The list is shown below
- Kenyatta University – Prof Wainaina,
- University of Embu – Prof Njiru,
- Machakos University – Prof Irungu,
- Rongo University – Prof Gudu,
- Kirinyaga University – Prof Ndung’u and M
- urang’a University – Prof Nyariki.