Health

A Chinese Family Spreads Dangerous Parasite By Eating Raw Centipedes

Surely, most of us have not even crossed our minds the idea of ​​eating a raw centipede.

Well, neither raw nor cooked. But if someone has ever considered that possibility, it is best to forget about it.

Especially after knowing the case that relates the specialized publication American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

Doctors at a hospital in Guangzhou province in China treated a mother and her child who had fever, drowsiness and signs of severe cognitive impairment.

The symptoms were caused by a parasite called Angiostrongylus cantonenses.

This microorganism usually lives in the organism of snails and other molluscs, but in this case the patients had been infected by eating raw centipedes.

Centipedes were used as an ingredient in the preparation of some remedies of traditional Chinese medicine, and these people had consumed them because it was said that they could help them to cure the symptoms of the cold.

But it would have been better for them to have a paracetamol.

Comments

comments

Show More

Related Articles

Close