Miguna Miguna once contested for Nairobi gubernatorial ticket on an independent part but lost it to current Nairobi county governor Mike Sonko.
He is well known as a no nonsense politician who has spared no one where he has crossed and felt there was something to be fixed.
He would be better be remembered to have been one of the main men who planned and executed Raila Odinga presidential oathing in Uhuru Park grounds.
After that, the government responded by arresting him and deporting him back to Canada where he had sought asylum during Moi’s regime
Here are 10 Facts You Didn’t Know About Miguna:
1. He was a student leader at the University of Nairobi from 1986 to 1987 when he was arrested and detained incommunicado.
2. He was released and expelled from the University together with some of his colleagues for championing multi-party democracy.
3. He fled to Tanzania, then Swaziland before being granted political asylum in Canada in June 1988.
4. He obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree, with distinction, in Political Science and Philosophy from the University of Toronto in June 1990;
5. He also obtained a Juris Doctor (JD) from The Osgoode Hall Law School of York University in June 1993.
6. Obtained Master of Laws (LLM) degree, with distinction, from The Osgoode Hall Law School in June 2001.
7. He was admitted to the Ontario Bar as a Barrister and Solicitor in February 1995 and as an Advocate in Kenya in 2008.
8, Between 1989-1994, he was the Coordinator of the Committee for Democracy in Kenya (CDK), an exile-based pro-democracy lobby group.
9. CDK successfully campaigned for the repeal of section 2A of the old Constitution that had made Kenya a de jure one party state.
10. Between 2006 and 2009, he served as a senior adviser and chief strategist for the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) and its party leader, Raila Odinga.
11. From 2009 to 2011, he was the senior adviser on coalition, constitutional and legal affairs to the Prime Minister of the Republic of Kenya, The Rt. Hon Raila Odinga.
12. He also served as the Joint Secretary to the Permanent Committee on the Management of Grand Coalition Affairs.
13. He represented the ODM and Mr. Odinga during the constitutional review process in addition to participating in other important functions of state and government.
14. He has published six books and thousands of articles in journals and newspapers both in Kenya and abroad.
15. He is a visionary and committed revolutionary Pan-Africanist who believes in and is committed to a more equal, accountable and transparent governance.