Kenyan veteran politicians called it a day on 14th June 2021 when death came knocking on his life.
Even though he is gone, Jakoyo will never be forgotten especially his impactful life in Kenya’s national politics.
Here are interesting facts you didn’t know about Jakoyo Midiwo.
- He was born as Washington Jakoyo Midiwo in 31 July 1966
- Midiwo was a three-time serving MP for Gem area in Siaya County and a founding member of the ODM
- Midiwo officially joined politics in 2002 when he vied and won the Gem parliamentary seat on a NARC ticket.
- HE lost the ODM nomination to Elisha Odhiambo in 2017 but went on to vie as an independent candidate, he still lost to Odhiambo who is the current Gem MP.
- In Parliament , National Assembly , Midiwo served in various house committees including; the departmental Committee of Finance and Trade, Joint Committee on Parliamentary Broadcasting and Library.
- He also served in the House Business Committee, Departmental Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations and the Catering and Health Club Committee.
- Midiwo also served as the ODM Chief Whip and later on served as the Deputy Minority leader in the 11th parliament.
- He was branded as an ODM rebel in 2017 general elections when he vied as an Independent Candidate, but later rejoined ODM after elections
- Midiwo was tasked by ODM leader Raila Odinga to drive and campaign for BBI initiative across the Nyanza region
- Midiwo died following a heart attack on 14 June 2021 at the age of 54