On 26th July 2019, Kibra MP Ken Okoth who had been battling with cancer, died at Nairobi Hospital.
MP Okoth had been battling with Colon cancer and he had just jetted back from France, where he had been put under specialized treatment.
On early Friday, he had been admitted at Nairobi Hospital’s ICU moments his situation worsened, then in the evening, his demise was sadly reported.
He last made a public appearance during mid July 2019, when he attended Kibra Music Fest at Moi Girls School, Nairobi, accompanied by other City leaders.
He died at the age of 41 years only
10 Facts about late Kibra MP Ken Okoth
- He was born 41 years ago in 1978 as Kenneth Odhiambo Okoth, in a family of six as a fourth born. His birthplace was at Kibra’s Kisumu Dogo (little Kisumu) in Nairobi
- Together with other five siblings, he was brought up by a single mum, Angelina after their father abandoned them
- He received a full sponsorship from Save the Children Fund to study at Starehe Boys after he got 613 out of 700 marks in the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE)
- Late MP Okoth revealed that he first slept on bed in Starehe Boys dormitories, since they lived a destitute kind of life back at home in Kibra slums
- After Starehe, he failed to take up his space at t the University of Nairobi to study law for lack of the mandatory fees on top of the loan from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
- After High School, he went back to The Nation as a newspaper vendor, doubled up as a German language student at The Goethe Institute as well as a security guard at Maendeleo ya Wanawake House premises.
- Later he won a US scholarship where he moved to USA to study German and European studies for his Bachelors degree.
- He also went to the school of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, Washington DC for Masters in International Relations.
- He also served as a teacher in Polomock School, which was attended by kids of VVIP such as grandchildren to former US Vice President Dick Cheney
- He used the opportunity to brush shoulders with top government officials in USA. In 2006, he started the children of Kibra Foundation or ‘watoto wa Kibra’ while still in Europe
- Through the foundation, he raised over 17 million and over 10 kids have been offered with scholarships every year since 2006.
- The initiative also saw several schools in Kibra equipped with school facilities such as computers and learning materials
- He resigned from his job in Tanzania where he worked as a program Director at the University of Dar Es Salaam to come and contest for newly created seat in Kibra, a seat he won it two times, 2013 and 2017 consecutively
- Late MP Ken Okoth had been married to a white woman known as Monica , even though the details were kept under his wrap.
- He voted against the VAT bill back in 2013, and he had no apologies to make over it since it was overburdening the common mwananchi.
- Check out his viral 2019 resolutions
His friend and former high school classmate Fred Gori posted pictures on Facebook between Ken Okoth and wife Monica
“Last night, Kibra MP Ken Okoth told us something worth mulling over.”Guys, take care of your wives. You may have a lot of money for treatment but nothing equals a woman who stands by you in your moment of illness”,” posted Gori.
According to Gori, Monica was with Ken Okoth in France for the five months he was receiving treatment.
She had to take time from work to stay by her husband’s side.
Photos during his cancer battle