The Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) has released its 2016 Economic Survey.
The data shows that employees working for international organisations such as the World Bank, diplomats, and foreign missions earn the biggest pay. Overall, annual earnings per employee increased by 9.2 per cent from Sh553,137.7 in 2014 to Sh604,255.8 in 2015.
Here are the average monthly take home salaries of the 17 highest industries in the Kenyan private sector based on 2015 figures.
17. Agriculture, forestry and fishing – Ksh 13,205 per month.
16. Real estate activities – Ksh 13,536 per month.
Typical jobs: Leasing Consultant, Assistant Commercial Property Manager.
15. Accommodation and food service activities – Ksh 20,136 per month.
Typical jobs: Cooks, waiters and waitresses, Hotel Attendants.
14. Manufacturing – Ksh 20,275 per month.
Typical jobs: Machinist, Inspectors, testers, sorters, samplers, and weighers
13. Mining and quarrying – Ksh 20,360 per month.
Typical jobs: Extraction workers.
12. Arts, entertainment and recreation – Ksh 29,866 per month.
Typical jobs: Actors, Musicians, Singers, Fitness Trainers.
11. Wholesale and retail trade; repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles – Ksh 29,477 per month.
Typical jobs: Mechanics, cashier.
10. Construction – Ksh 32,244 per month.
Typical jobs: Construction Manager, Cement Mason and Concrete Finisher, Electrician, Structural Iron and Steelworker.
9. Human health and social work activities – Ksh 37,160 per month.
Typical jobs: General medical practice, Day Care Centers, Hospital workers, Residential nursing caretakers.
8. Information and communication – Ksh 41,659 per month.
Typical jobs: IT managers, Computer Network Professionals, Systems Administrators, Telecommunications Technical Specialists.
7. Education – Ksh 45,966 per month.
Typical jobs: Teachers.
6. Professional, scientific and technical activities – Ksh 48,835 per month.
Typical jobs: Lawyers, Architects, Auditors, Management Consultants.
5. Transportation and storage – Ksh 61,176 per month.
Typical jobs: Distribution Manager, Warehouse Site Manager, freight Operators, Logistics Manager
4. Administrative and support service activities – Ksh 70,798 per month.
Typical jobs: Executive Secretary, Administrative Assistant.
3. Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply – Ksh 72,687.
Typical jobs: Petroleum Engineer, Subcontracting Manager, Electrical Engineer.
2. Finance & Insurance – Ksh 84,364 per month.
Typical jobs: Accountants, Bank Managers, Insurance Sales.
1. Activities of extraterritorial organizations and bodies – Ksh 149,730 per month.
Typical jobs: World Bank Officials, Diplomats, and Foreign Missions.