On Sunday 10th March 2019, Ethiopian Airline was rocked with a major disaster when flight ET302 came crashing down like a wounded hawk just six minutes after taking off.
Behind the doomed Boeing 737 Max 8 was Kenyan born pilot Captain Yared Mulegeta.
All 157 on board died before reaching their destination, Nairobi’s JKIA Airport.
10 facts you should know about captain Yared Mulegeta
- At the age of just 29 years old, Yared had flown more than enough hours under his belt and rose to senior captain position.
- His was born between Kenyan and Ethiopian parents. His father, Getachew Tessema, is an Ethiopian and mother, Rayan Shapi, Kenyan
- Ethiopian Airlines, where he served as one of the youngest pilots, said in a statement that he was one of the most competent and experienced pilots. He had atleast 8000 hours of flight time
- He began his studies at Nairobi’s Grove Allen Primary School, then joined Oshwal High School where he later joined Ethiopian Aviation Academy to pursue his childhood ambition
- He graduated in 2010 from the prestigious academy before he immediately joined the top African airline.
- He worked with Ethiopian Airline for a period of atleast 9 years before he met his painful death
- The young pilot who left behind one sibling was a strong Muslim believer
- He loved home in Kenya than in Ethiopia where he only worked . His family stayed in Nairobi’s Spring Valley, while another part of family resided in Mombasa
- At the time of crash, Captain Yared was the senior commanding pilot assisted by other 7 crew members
- His parents were all retired dentists living in Kenya at the time of his death. Before the crash, he talked with his dad, telling him that he was headed home.