Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon, has announced on his Twitter account that he is separated from his wife MacKenzie after 25 years of marriage.
“We want to tell people how to live our lives, we have decided to follow our life as friends, and we feel incredibly fortunate to have found each other. deeply grateful for each of the years we have been married, “he wrote on Twitter.
The richest man in the world, whose fortune is estimated at some 137 billion dollars, met MacKenzie in New York in 1992 and they married the following year.
“If we had known 25 years ago that we were going to separate, we would do it all over again. We had a great life together as a couple, and we see a great future on the horizon as parents, friends, companions of adventures and projects and as individuals in search of more adventures and projects. Although the denominations now change, we are still a family, and also dear friends, ” he added on the tweet.
By the end of 2018, Jeff Bezos unseated Bill Gates as the richest American, according to Forbes, by increasing his $ 78.5 billion fortune in the last year alone.
Amazon was founded in 1993, a year after their official marriage, this means that according to their Washington State laws, fortune founded by both should be shared equally.
This would gift wife MacKenzie a half of 137 Billion Dollars, which would mean that the two will have 66 billion dollar each. Making the wife richest billionaire on earth.
This would take back Bill Gates to position one as world’s richest man.
But legal experts noted that MacKenzie would not want to dilute the family fortune and let Bezos continue controlling the fortune
“The issue will be how to value the assets with diminished control,” said Jeffrey Fisher, a divorce attorney in West Palm Beach who has handled several billionaire divorces. “There would be an argument by the attorneys that the Amazon stake is not worth as much without Bezos in control, so that would affect any settlement.”
The most expensive U.S. divorce so far is believed to be Steve and Elaine Wynn in 2010, which was estimated at $1 billion. Oil tycoon Harold Hamm famously wrote a check for $974.8 million in 2012 for his divorce.
10 Facts You Should Know About Jeff Bezos
At age 54, Jeff Bezos became the richest man in the world thanks to Amazon’s global success, but this discreet executive has other hobbies: from the conquest of space to the construction of a giant clock set in a mountain.
With the increase in shares of Amazon, his fortune now exceeds 112 billion dollars, more than the founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, who went to the second place with 90 billion dollars in the ranking of Forbes magazine.
10 facts you should know about Jeff Bezos
- He was born as Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen but changed his name to Jeff Bezos after he was adopted by a Cuban immigrant living in USA
- He was born 54 years ago on January 12, 1964 at , Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
- Jeff specializes in technology, investment and entrepreneurship
- He is the CEO and founder of Amazon, the world’s largest online retailer. He founded Amazon in 1994. Amazon began as an online bookstore retailer before it expanded to other products such as cloud infrastructure, audio and video streaming
- He owns degrees from electrical engineering and computer science from Princeton University, USA
- In 2000 he founded Blue Origin a company that plans to begin space exploration tourism. He also owns The Washington Post, a brand that has been vehemently been attacked by The Republicans led by President Donald Trump
- Jeff Bezos also worked at Intel and Bell computer labs after his graduation from Princeton University
- He is also working on his clock termed the largest clock on earth standing 150 feet tall and will be able to work more than 10,000 years . The clock would be mechanically made.
- Jeff Bezos has also invested in Google and Biotechnology research- meant to find a solution to stop or reduce the process of aging
- Bezos believes on the marketing idea that delivers quality while offering the lowest price on the market.
Jeff Bezos 10 best quotes