Born in 1990, Dr. Purity Ngina is Kenya’s youngest Doctor of Philosophy at just the age of 28 years old.
She graduated with a PhD in Biomathematics .
On June 29, Dr. Purity Ngina was among the three doctorate graduates at the Strathmore University in 2018.
Below are 10 interesting facts about the young doctor of philosophy
- In June 2018, Dr. Ngina made her way into history books by becoming the youngest PhD holder in the filed of Biomathematics
- The topic of her PhD thesis was founded on the relationship between HIV and Mathematics
- She was born in Mbiriri village in Nyeri County, where she went to school bare footed and fetched water from River Sagana
- She walked 3Km just to fetch water for their domestic use
- She got 235 out of 500 marks in her Kenya Certificate of Primary Education, her late mum advised her to repeat KCPE which she later scored 368 marks out of 500
- She was admitted in Tumu Tumu High School in Nyeri where she struggled paying her school fees among other personal school needs
- Dr. Ngina despite the tussle, managed to score a B+ in her KCSE exams earning her a spot at Egerton University
- She went on to study a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics which she gained a First Class honours.
- That earned her a scholarship and went on to study a Masters in Applied Mathematics after getting First Class honours degree, in 2013.
- In 2016 she joined Strathmore University as an assistant lecturer. She worked hard and managed to get a PhD through a The German Academic Exchange Service which had paid her PhD fees.