Just few days onto the showdown in Egypt, key defender Brian Mandela was ruled out of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations.
Mandela suffered a knee injury during training that prompted the coach to rule him out immediately.
It is reported that the giant looking Mandela landed awkwardly on his left feet, before limping of with the help of media team and fellows.
“I have been informed that he is injured and that the medical staff has rushed him to the hospital for tests. Let’s hope it is nothing serious,” Football Kenya Federation president Nick Mwendwa said.
Below are key facts about Brian Mandela
- He was born as Brian Mandela Onyango 24 years on born 24 July 1994 in Kenya
- In the current squad of 2019, he is the most experienced central defender
- He started off football back in 2010 when he joined Postar Rangers
- In 2011 he joined Tusker FC for only one year before leaving for South Africa
- In 2012, He joined Santos, which plays in South Africa’s Second Division league aka SAFA Second Division.
- In 2015, he joined a high ranking Maritzburg United in the Premier Soccer League where he has been playing for more than seven years
- Brian’s favorite jersey in number 2
- He has made a total of 22 appearances for Harambee stars since he was called up back in 2011.
- With Harambee Stars, he has two goals under his name. Brian has scored also three goals at club level.
- In 2019, June he was linked to SA football giants Orlando Pirates