On 15th January 2020, it is a day Ann Kananu will not easily forget.
This is because she walked in Nairobi County Assembly as a Citizen and walked out as a Deputy Governor.
Moments later, she was sworn in as the Nairobi Deputy Governor at an event held at KICC in Nairobi city.
Ann Kananu will now work with Governor Benson Mutura who is in acting position.
Here are some interesting facts about Ann Kananu.
- Ann Kananu Mwenda was born 40 years ago in Embu County in May 1980.
- She started her education at St Michael Primary School in the same county from Class One to Eight where Mathematics and Science were her favourite subjects.
- Later, Ann Kananu joined Our Lady of Mercy Girls, Nagundu where she for her Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) certificate in 1999
- Between 2011 and 2012 she earned a certificate in Human Resource Management and Public Relations from the University of Nairobi
- Then in 2013, she graduated with a Diploma in Criminology and Security Management from St Paul’s University
- Later on Ann Kananu earned a degree in Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Security Management (Forensic and Criminal Investigation) from Dedan Kimathi University in 2016 (Second Class Upper Division).
- Kananu has worked as a Personal Assistant, H. Mogambi & CO. Advocates between 2003 and 2004 and Customer Service & Personal Assistant to the CEO, MOKIR Enterprises between 2002 and 2003.
- She also worked as a Security Supervisor in charge of Quality Control and Training at Kenya Airports Authority before joining City Hall as Chief Officer in charge of Disaster Management and Coordination in May, 2018.
- She was married to late Philip Njiru Muthathai who died in January 2019 via a heinous road accident at Devki in Athi River.
- In July 2020, Ann Kananu was nominated by impeached Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko to be Nairobi’s next Deputy Governor after the resignation of Polycarp Igathe