Maina Kageni is one of the most popular and successful radio hosts in Kenya. He has been on the air for over 20 years and has a loyal following of listeners.
But there’s more to Maina than just his radio show. Here are 10 interesting facts you didn’t know about him:
- Maina used to weigh 90kgs before deciding to hit the gym. He has now lost over 30kgs and looks fitter than ever.
- The 50-year-old was a truck driver in the USA before returning to Kenya to take up a job at Radio Africa. He started out at Kisii FM before moving to Classic 105 FM to partner with Mwalimu King’ang’i. Their show was so popular that it almost ended the career of Caroline Mutoko, who was hosting a competing show on Kiss FM.
- Despite being a successful radio host, Maina did not progress past high school. He dropped out, but his English is excellent due to his affluent family background and the fact that he lived in the US. His parents live in Karen, where Maina spent his childhood.
- Maina’s monthly salary is in excess of Ksh 1.2 million. Without him, Radio Africa would not be where it is today.
- His career and growth proves that passion and talent supersede education. Maina only holds a high school certificate, but he has achieved great success in his chosen field.
- Maina is still strong in Radio Africa and is not retiring any time soon, but his agemate Caroline Mutoko has already retired. This is a reflection of the fact that women in the media industry are often employed based on their beauty and are replaced with younger women as soon as their beauty starts to fade. However, men are able to work even past the age of 70, as evidenced by the likes of Jeff Koinange.
- Maina is a bachelor and but has got one kid. He has said that he is not interested in getting married adding that marriage is not his cup of tea, and he is happy with his life the way it is. However he got a son named Nathan
- Maina is a big fan of football and his favorite team is Arsenal FC. He often talks about football on his radio show and has even been known to travel to watch Arsenal play live.
- Maina is also a successful businessman. He owns a number of businesses, including a real estate company and a clothing line.
- Maina is a philanthropist and supports a number of charitable organizations. He is particularly passionate about helping children and education.
Suprisingly, founder of Royal Media Services, SK Macharia is his uncle.
Maina Kageni is a complex and fascinating individual. He is a talented radio host, a successful businessman, and a philanthropist. He is also a role model for many young Kenyans, showing that it is possible to achieve great success without a formal education.