Binyavanga Wainaina took his last breathe on Tuesday May 21 at 10PM after a long fight with stroke.
The famous Kenyan author and gay rights activist Binyavanga Wainana is known for declaring that he was HIV+ back in December 2016.
The viral author who first suffered stroke in 2016 was preparing to do a homosexual documentary and had been urging Kenyans to come out and speak more on the hot topic during the shoot of the film
Interesting Facts You Should Know About
Below is a list of his best books he has written
- An affair to Dismember (2002)
- Discovering home (2003)
- Kwani? – 02 (Volume 2) (2003)
- Beyond the River Yei: life in the land where sleeping is a disease (2004)
- Kwani? – 01 (2005)
- Kwani? (2007)
- One day I will write about this place (2008)
- How to write about Africa (2008)
- Eines Tages werde ich über diesen Ort schreiben (2013)
- Nguva Na Nyoka (2016) – It is been co-authored by Wangechi Mutu.
Award Winner Author
- Caine Prize – African writing (2002)
- Award for recognizing his services towards the Kenyan literature by the Publisher’s Association of Kenya (2003)
He was set to marry his gay partner from Nigeria, the wedding was to take place in 2019, South Africa
He was born 48 years ago on January 18, 1971 in Kenya, Nakuru County
He is a long serving journalist and prolific author
Education and Career
He studied in the following schools in his entire life
- Moi Primary School, Nakuru.
- Mangu High School, Thika
- Lenana School, Nairobi.
- He pursued his graduation in commerce from the University of Transkei, South Africa.
- MPhil degree in creative writing from the East Anglia University.
Work and experience
He has worked with the following media firms
- New York Times,
- National Geographic
- The Guardian.
- . He founded Kwani, a literary magazine.
- Chinua Achebe centre for Artists and African writers
- Union College, Schenectady of USA.