It is sad to write the year 2021 did not start on a good note.
With death plucking popular Kenyans like a well set drama scene, we hope that it won’t get worse.
So far here are celebrities who have died in 2021.
1.Juja MP Francis Waititu
Juja MP Francis Munyua Waititu popularly known as “Wakapee”, died on Monday 22nd on Febraury 2021 on a chilly evening at MP Shah Hospital in Nairobi while undergoing treatment.
The Jubilee MP had been battling with brain cancer.
The father of four children was serving his second term as an MP.
Waititu was diagnosed with cancer in India in October 2018. He said he decided to go for cancer screening after his mother was diagnosed with stage two brain cancer in 2017. She was later declared cancer-free after undergoing a 10-month treatment.
Waititu’s 60-year-old sister died in 2016 from stage four liver cancer.
According to the late MP Waititu, about 63 MPs (from the National Assembly and the Senate) and thousands of other Kenyans were suffering from cancer, with the treatment burden on their families’ shoulders.
Waititu had a tumor on the left temporal lobe of his brain, which became cancerous in February 2018.
Munyua worked closely with his father, being his Personal Assistant since 2015 and helping him run the constituency since 2017 when he became ill.
Popular pastor in Nairobi city Apostle Mary Wangui is dead.
The news of Apostle Ruth came out on 20th February via her official handle on Twitter.
Apostle Mary Magdalene Wangui was the founder of The Will Of God ministries which boasts over 107 branches in Kenya, and many others in the greater East Africa, South Africa and the United States.
She was also the President of the River Side Bible School which has mentored great men and women as well as the CEO of the East Dove TV studios where she hosted the “Dine With The King” show until her demise.
3.Kambua’s new born
Gospel artist Kambua announced the passing on of her baby on 15th of February in 2021 days after being born.
Kambua and her hubby Jackson Mathu are believed to have skipped their normal church service on 14th so as to give the little fallen angel a send off.
Kambua shared on social media the heartbreaking news that was met with immediate heartfelt condolences from her fans and other celebs at large.
It took Kambua six years after marriage to get her first born, Nathaniel.
4.MP John Oyioka
Bonchari legislator John Oroo Oyioka who died on Monday of 15th February 2021 throwing the Gusii tribe into another mourning scene.
The fallen MP succumbed to long illness at the Aga Khan hospital in Kisumu
He was elected to the Parliament during the 2017 general election by the Kenya African National Union and a Coalition Member of The People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
The news of his death was announced by Speaker of National Assembly Justin Muturi.
Death has claimed the life of Garissa Senator Yusuf Haji at 80 years old
His family reported that the career administrator and former Cabinet Minister took his last breathe at the Aga Khan hospital in Nairobi on Monday morning of 15th February after a long illness, his family confirmed.
In 2020, he had been flown to Turkey for specialized treatment and came back in 2021 February 13th before his sudden death two days later.
He had several organ failure before earlier suffering hip injury.
Facts about Yusuf Haji
- Haji was born on December 23, 1940 in Garissa District in the North Eastern Province (Northern Frontier District) to an ethnic Somali family.
- He hails from the Abdalla subclan of the Ogaden and Borana from his mom side.
- Haji was married and had nine children (one deceased)
- For his post-secondary education, Haji earned a diploma from the University of Birmingham, where he majored in Management and Finance Control
- In 2020, he held the position of the chairman of the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) taskforce.
- He is the father of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji.
- He served as a District Commissioner and Provincial Commissioner for long in the old Constitution.
- Between 2008-2013 , he served as Cabinet Minister of Defence under the Grand Coalition Government of Retired President Mwai Kibaki and former Prime minister Raila Odinga
- In 2012, Haji also briefly served as Minister of Internal Security and Provincial Affairs
- He has served in the Senate of Kenya representing Garissa County from 2013 until his death.
Veteran politician Simeon Nyachae died in Nairobi Hospital on 1st February 2021.
He served as MP for Nyaribari Chache for 15 years before losing to Dr. Monda.
He also served as Minister for Finance and Agriculture besides being Chief Secretary in Daniel Moi govt.
The family of late Hosea Kiplagat announced on February 6th 2021 that former politician died on Saturday morning, around 9:30 in the morning, while at the Karen Hospital, Nairobi.
About Hosea Kiplagat
- Hosea Kiplagat was a close associate and aide to former President Daniel Moi.
- He served as a chairman at Co-operative Bank
- He hailed from Tenges area in Baringo Central, where he unsuccessfully vied for area MP
- He was a popular business man with wide interests in banking and transport industries