7 Tips So You Consume Less Salt

According to the Ministry of Health, a good number of Kenyans suffer from hypertension.

Salt shaker on checked tablecloth

Faced with this condition, reducing salt intake is one of the most practical measures to improve or even avoid this condition.

The salt in the body balances the body fluids and benefits the functioning of the muscles and the activity of the nervous system.

However, by abusing their parents, it damages the work of the kidneys, affects blood pressure and becomes a risk factor for coronary heart disease and stroke, among other pathologies.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends, for the adult population, a maximum average of five grams per day, that is, a teaspoonful of full coffee distributed among all the foods consumed daily; in the case of children from 7 to 10 years old, four grams a day; and in children under seven, three grams.

Most Kenyans consume salt which is around 11 grams per day, more than twice the recommended amount.

Currently in the country various business and health organizations have been dedicated to develop campaigns to reduce this.

Nutritionists say that it is not about eating without salt, but about reducing its presence

The taste for salt is acquired from very young, and that is precisely why you can educate

In the heat of salt, 20% represents what is used when cooking, it is visible salt; but the other 80% is “invisible”, since it is found in the food itself even if salt is not added. Of that 80 percent, 8% is salt naturally in the food, and the remaining 72% is presented in prepared dishes, processed foods, among others.

This means that you have to reduce both types of salt: visible and invisible so as to avoid too much salty products.

  1. We share some tips to avoid consuming too much salt without the food losing flavor:
  2. Use oils with spices to flavor dishes with strong flavors.
  3. Remove the salt shaker from the table, make sure it’s only in the kitchen.
  4. Substitute salt for other seasonings such as herbs or spices.
  5. Wash thoroughly, with plenty of water, vegetable preserves and legumes before preparation.
  6. In the case of salads, use the lemon, as it gives freshness and enhance its flavor, so that salt is almost dispensable.
  7. In grilled or steamed foods, add the salt at the end, after cooking.
  8. If you eat outside the house, ask for the dishes with less salt and bring it to the table only for you to serve whatever you consider.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button