Kenyan political fraternity is mourning the passing of popular veteran activist and founder of Jukwaa political blog, Onyango Oloo.
According to initial reports from his close mate , Prof Larry Gumbe , the late died while being rushed to Yala Hospital, in Siaya County.
Facts about Onyango Oloo
- He was born as David Onyango Oloo, but opted to drop his Christian name and largely became popular as Onyango Oloo.
- He has largely been confused with Kisumu County Speaker Onyango Oloo who also dropped his Christian name ‘George’.
- During the 1982 coup, he was among the university students who were arrested and tortured at the deadly Nyayo Torture Chambers
- He served five years at Kamiti Maximum Prison as a political detainee.
- Upon his release, he joined Social Democratic Party as an official
- He also founded Jukwaa blog, a platform he used to write about political activism
- He was a strong friend with Miguna Miguna, another fierce political activist.
- Oloo had traveled to Nakuru to receive 15 copies of books authored by Miguna Miguna, before he fell ill on his return.