The publication LiveScience, collects the case of an eight-year-old girl in India, who went to the hospital because she had severe headaches, epileptic seizures and mobility problems.
The tests carried out revealed that no less than a hundred eggs of a parasite called Taenia solium had nested in her brain.
It is a typical parasite of the pig, and infection usually occurs when eating the meat of individuals carrying this organism.
Larvae usually nest in the stomach, but sometimes they can access the brain and nervous system through the bloodstream. When this happens (as in this case) they cause a disease known as neurocysticercosis.
It is an endemic infection of regions such as Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa and South America.
And it is very difficult to diagnose, because it is usually asymptomatic, and many of the people carrying the parasite do not go to the doctor.