Popular Kikuyu benga musician John Demathew died on the night of 19th August 2019 after a very deadly accident around Blue Post along Thika Road.
Demathew however left a very huge mark in the Kenyan music industry.
Here are interesting facts about Demathew
- Demathew as better known for his two popular songs known as ‘Njata Yakwa’, ‘Menye Menye’
- He was born many more 50 years ago as John Ng’ang’a Mwangi, from Gatanga in Murang’a County
- Demathew is one of the top notch popular musicians from the Central region of Kenya who are largely the Kikuyu community. Demathew has more than 50 albums, enjoys huge airplay in local media stations and is very popular on ground functions
- He started of his musical career with his debut single dubbed ‘My Dear Nduku’ about 30 years ago. Since then he became a prolific music singer and producer.
- In early 1980s, before he tried his music luck, Demathew used to hawk tomatoes in the slums of Korogocho Market
- DeMathew attributed his success to legendary artists Timona Mburu and Joseph Wamumbe whom he lauds for guiding him in his rise to stardom
- His songs were also widely used in scholarly studies due to the power of great composition, poetic message and manner of rendition of his songs. Such included the renowned scholar Kanyi Thiong’o thesis for his Master of Arts in Literature at the University of Nairobi
- Demathew’s most popular songs include Property, Ni Wathire Ukindiga, Mene Mene Tekel and Njata Yakwa in which he featured Murang’a County Women Representative Sabina Wanjiru Chege.
- His songs were largely based on politics, love and social commentary
- The mugithii singer Demathew was linked to be dating Women’s representative for Murang’a County, Sabina who is currently married to Maina Gathito. MP Sabina Chege was featured in De ‘Mathew hit single, Njata Yakwa sang many years ago.
John De Mathew Top Songs
- Nii Wacokera?
- Menye Menye
- Jogoo Ya Town
- Thii Biu
- Nikii Wacokera
- Nyina wa Carol
- Simama Mama
- Niwanyumire Thayu
- Wituite Hiti
- My Brother
- Mene Mene Tekeli
- Njata Yakwa
- Mami Ke Nguinire
- Ruhiu Rwa Guka
- Chiunguyu Iria Nene
- Ngucokia Ngatho
DeMathew song featuring Murangá Women Rep Sabina Chege