Popular Kenyan referee Aden Marwa has pulled out of World Cup Russia 2018 after an investigative video showed him receiving a bribe.
Marwa was among the referees exposed by a Ghanian journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas receiving cash bribe .
He was to be an assisting referee in the much awaited FIFA World Cup 2018.
The expose indicates that Marwa received $600 which is about Ksh.60,000.
Kenyan Referee Aden Marwa ameshikwa akipewa Hongo… Only 60k has costed him 2.5 million 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Kenyans Are we cursed with corruption? pic.twitter.com/8psk5s7jk3
— Moseax 🏉 🇰🇪 (@Moseax) June 7, 2018
Below are 10 facts you should know about Aden Marwa
- The celebrated referee was born 41 years ago on born 31 January 1977
- He brags of the first Kenyan football official to be involved in any FIFA competition
- He was majorly involved in top competitions such as FIFA U17 World Cup
- In Africa he has officiated top games such as the 2012 and 2013 Africa Cup of Nation contest
- He was also named as a reserve referee during the FIFA 2014 in Brazil and an assisting match official during FIFA Club World Cup.
- He had been named in the FIFA 2018 Russia World Cup before he pulled off over corruption allegations
- He was included as CAF’s assistant referee in the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup.
- The experienced match official also doubles as a mathematics and chemistry teacher at Komotobo Secondary school in Migori County
- He has also worked with top officials in refereeing such as alongside Bakary Gassama, Jean-Claude Birumushahu and Malang Diedhiou
- His major and first international duty was an Africa Cup match in Zanzibar way back in 2000