Before independence, NYS used to be a compulsory stage of youths transition, but things have changed with time.
Today NYS is more of a volunteering service. Anyone working with National Youth Service the least he or she can expect is a payment.
Last year 2017 August, their salaries were increased from sh.700 to sh.2100 per month. Marking a 300% for the service men and women.
Besides the salaries , here are benefits of joining NYS Kenya
- Gaining paramilitary skills
- Easy breakthrough to police, army and security service units in Kenya
- Vocational and tertiary training such as fashion, engineering, carpentry.
- Pride of serving the nation
- Having NYS certification is a huge added advantage on your CV
- NYS trains one on discipline, punctually and being well organized.
Despite being a entirely volunteering service to ones nation, NYS has attracted cute ladies from across Kenya.
Have a look at them below