Jeremiah Gitau Kiereini , a former top ranking government official died on Monday evening of 13th May 2019 at the age of 90 years old.
President Uhuru Kenyatta has already condoled with the family, remembering the late Kiereini as a long serving government official who will forever remain in the books of history .
Mr Kiereini was a polished patriot and loyal Kenyan who served this country with dedication as a public servant for over 30 years rising through the ranks to the position of Head of Public Service and Secretary to the Cabinet,” President Kenyatta said in a statement on Tuesday.
“Indeed his sterling performance at the helm of the public service gave us the foundation upon which the successes we are witnessing in the sector today are anchored.
10 Facts You Need To Know About Late Jeremiah Kiereini
- He was born 90 years ago in 1929 in Central Kenya. Late Kiereini studied at Alliance High before joining Makerere University before he joined the civil service at the wake of independence.
- He was married to Eunice Muringo Kiereini, a former Kenya’s Chief Nursing Officer
- He brags as the first African District Commissioner in Embu and in before he rose to be deputy civil secretary for Eastern Region.
- With the like minded team of Eliud Mahihu, Simeon Nyachae, and Mr Kariithi , they became Mzee Jomo Kenyatta’s think-tank
- He worked as a well respected Head of Civil Service and Secretary to the Cabinet
- He served as Permanent Secretary for Defence in Jomo Kenyatta’s government later he was promoted to the Head of Civil Service position by President Daniel arap Moi to replace Mr Geoffrey Kariithi
- He also was the Defense Minister during the Shifta war time, during which Kenya was forced to militarize itself when President Idi Amin of Uganda threatened to take more soil from the territorie of Kenya
- Late Kiereini never joined politics and remained in business empire, unlike his close mates who joined politics such as Charles Njonjo, Kenneth Matiba, and John Michuki
- For 24 years he served as the chairman of East African Breweries as well as a motor-dealer at CMC Limited
- He also business interests in coffee farming , insurance, banking, and the hotel industry.