The term “superfoods”, refers to foods that are richer in nourishment than those cooked and processed, in addition to being full of vitamins, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, among which is dark chocolate.
Throughout its history, chocolate has remained a symbol of luxury, wealth and power and a clear example of this is that, during the fourteenth century, the Aztecs and Mayans used cocoa beans as currency.
In addition, these people valued cocoa for its aphrodisiac properties, its improved mood and was considered as an agent to treat angina and heart pain.
Now, research on this “superfood” has made many more properties that positively affect the body are discovered:
- Thanks to its calories, chocolate provides a great amount of energy to the body. Therefore, it is advisable, according to experts, to take it at breakfast or maximum as a dessert after the meal, because, in this way, calories are not converted into accumulated fat.
- Dark chocolate is a good ally of pleasure, since it contains phenylethylamine, a substance that secretes the brain naturally and makes it an antidepressant food.
- It benefits the heart, since it promotes an adequate flow of blood by possessing powerful antioxidants, such as catechins, epicatechins and procyanidins.
- It helps lower blood pressure and improve blood circulation because it produces nitric oxide, a gas that helps relax the arteries.
- It is good for the enamel of the teeth, helping not to get cavities because the cacao contains “streptococcus mutans”, bacteria that determines the production of acid, which is what causes it but is contrasted by cocoa antoixidants, which limit the production of the acid.
- It stimulates the central nervous system and the cardiac muscles, since it has theobromine, a substance with an action similar to caffeine.
- Prevents premature aging of the skin, since it provides a smoother skin and more resistant to UVA rays, which also protects it from the sun, thanks to its high concentration of antoixidants.
- It increases the feeling of satiety so it is excellent for weight control, provided it is consumed in moderation.
- It helps improve brain function, because it increases blood flow to the brain because it contains stimulants that prevent diseases such as alzehimer, such as caffeine and theobromine.
- It is a natural aphrodisiac and intensifies libido, since it stimulates the hormone serotonin improving mood and relieving stress, which produces a sense of well-being.