Soon, you will be treated to a new name, when referring to the current country named India.
As of 5th in September, 2023, it became clear that the country was planning to rename itself to Bharat.
Reasons why the Indian government wants to change its name to Bharat:
- To reflect the country’s ancient and rich history. The name Bharat is derived from the Sanskrit word “Bharata,” which refers to the ancient kingdom of Bharatavarsha. This kingdom was home to the Indus Valley Civilization, one of the earliest civilizations in the world.
- To promote national unity. The name Bharat is more inclusive than the name India, which is derived from the Greek word “Indus.” The name Bharat is used by people of all religions and languages in India.
- To distance the country from its colonial past. The name India was given to the country by the British during the colonial era. The name Bharat is a reminder of the country’s pre-colonial history and identity.
- To boost tourism. The name Bharat is more appealing to tourists than the name India. It is a more exotic and mysterious name, which could attract more tourists to the country.
- To improve the country’s image abroad. The name Bharat is seen as a more positive and aspirational name than the name India. It could help to improve the country’s image abroad and attract more investment.
- To promote cultural pride. The name Bharat is associated with India’s rich culture and heritage. It could help to boost cultural pride among Indians and promote tourism.
- To strengthen national identity. The name Bharat is a more unifying name than the name India. It could help to strengthen national identity and promote a sense of belonging among Indians.
- To create a more positive brand image. The name Bharat is seen as a more positive and aspirational name than the name India. It could help to create a more positive brand image for India and attract more investment.
- To align with international organizations. Some international organizations, such as the United Nations, use the name Bharat when referring to India. Changing the name to Bharat would help to align India with these organizations.
- To fulfill the aspirations of the people. There is a growing demand among Indians to change the name of the country to Bharat. Changing the name would fulfill the aspirations of the people and give them a sense of pride.
It is important to note that there are also some people who oppose the change of name. They argue that the name India is already well-established and changing it would be unnecessary and disruptive. However, the government is confident that the change of name will be popular with the majority of Indians.
Only time will tell whether the government’s plan to change the name of the country to Bharat will be successful. However, it is clear that the government is serious about this proposal and is willing to put in the effort to make it happen.