A viral Chinese virus has been hitting our news every morning, prompting health departments to go on high alert over the deadly disease.
The new virus now known as coronavirus called 2019-nCoV was first spotted in Chinese town Wuhan where locals visited a seafood market.
Scientist believe this virus hoped to humans from animals through local foods sold in Southeastern China in Hubei province.
Here are some interesting facts you need to know about the deadly corona virus 2019-nCoV
- Locals claim the disease was first reported to Chinese health officials around 22nd December 2019 but it only became a matter of concern around 29th same month from the town of Wuhan
- As of 28th January 2020, more than 3000 had been infected and more than 100 lost their lives.
- Also before the end of January 2020, the virus has been confirmed in atleast 13 countries across the world.
- What is a virus? According to Wikipedia it is a a small infectious agent that replicates only inside the living cells of an organism. It is worth to not that unlike bacteria, a virus is not a living thing, but rather a ‘half’ a living thing.
- Coronavirus is a group of family viruses known to cause common cold.
- This type of corona virus is brand new and has never been seen before by scientists. It is believed to have originated from snakes
- The disease presents itself with key symptoms such as pneumonia — lung inflammation, accompanied by cough and phlegm
- Other symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. People with a strong immune can easily heal and recover on their own without medical treatment.
- It quickly spreads through coughing, sneezing or by leaving germs on a surface that is touched by non-infected people who touch their faces
- Its incubation period is about 2 weeks before it swings it action. The development of a vaccine is already underway, but it will take close to one year for the vaccine to be presented for human use.