Commuters in Rongai were stranded on Tuesday morning as matatus hiked fares a day after the National Transport Authority banned the Ongata Line Sacco following an accident on Sunday that claimed four lives.
One of six people injured was a Multimedia University student.
As a result, the students from the university blocked Magadi Road in protest and cars have been diverted to alternative routes, according to Karen police boss (OCPD) Suiyanka Cunningham.
For a distance that Rongai residents would ordinarily pay Sh100, on Tuesday morning some were being charged Sh150.
On Monday, NTSA said the Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operator was deregistered because of “several violations of the National Transport ad Safety (Public Service Regulations) 2014.”
Some residents took on Twitter to vent their frustration such as Chepkoech @sharon_bor who said: “Rongai to town is 150. Too early for this.”
Another Avid D @Dattygal wrote: “@Ma3Route now that @ntsa_kenya has suspended Ongataline sacco, fares in Rongai are up :-(“
There were also photos of others sharing pictures of many others stranded in bus stops as there were few buses plying the route.
Brian Moseti, a Rongai resident told the Nation he had been at the bus stop “since 6.40am and there are no vehicles. Those available charge Sh150 to town.”
Mr Edwin Kiplagat who tweets as @__Kipling said: “Rongai peeps will have to walk to town. Matatus charging 150 bob to town. No matatus.”
NTSA in the press statement further advised members of the public to “avoid boarding these vehicles as they shall be impounded if found operating contrary to the authority’s directive