5 Things To Look When Choosing A Lover
It is important , to make sure that your future spouse makes pleasing God as number one priority, because in doing so it shows that he/she has the potential to love you the same way that Christ loved the church.
5 considerations to take when searching for a lover this year
- S/He may be fine, but make sure that wo/man is saved! Single Christian wo/men should make sure that their future spouse is Christian as well because God admonishes believers to not be unequally yoked with unbelievers according to 2 Corinthians 6:14.
You want to be in a relationship with someone who shares the same value system and beliefs as you do. In doing so, you create harmony in the relationship, and operate in God’s perfect will for your life. Also, according to Amos 3:3, it is better for two people who are in agreement to walk together.
- S/He may be saved, but make sure that wo/man is for real! Nowadays, it is not enough to make sure someone confesses Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior according to Romans 10:8-10.
You want to also make sure his lifestyle lines up with his faith confession, and that He fears God by not desiring to break God’s heart -which happens when we disobey His Word and His will. Also, how can a wo/man love you like Christ loves the church if s/he doesn’t know how to truly love God?
Make sure that s/he is not only saved but that his/her mind has been renewed and changed by the Word of God (Romans 12:2). A wo/man who fears God, or reverences and respects God so much that he has surrendered his/her own will to God’s will, proves that s/he sincerely loves the Lord, and love must be vertical first, before it can ever be horizontal.
- Make sure s/he has a vision, and knows his purpose. The Word of God in Habakuk 2:2 commands us to write the vision and make it plain. You want a future mate who has a vision and knows his/her purpose in life.
Men are called to be leaders in the home, and a man who doesn’t know his purpose will be leading his future intended down a path that leads to no where. When a man and a woman both know their purpose they can better envision a future together and can see how they fit into one another’s lives.
- Make sure s/he loves people and wins souls. Unfortunately, there are some who call themselves Christians yet do not love people. Make sure your future spouse is not one of these persons. God’s second commandment to Christians is to love their neighbors as themselves, and the best way to show that love is to tell someone else about Jesus Christ.
The same way that God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son is the same way, ladies, you should want to make sure your future spouse loves people so much that he willingly shares his testimony and witnesses to someone else. The Word of God, in Psalm 107:2 says, Let the redeemed of the Lord, say so, so your future mate should not be ashamed to tell it!
- Makes sure that pleasing God is his/her #1 priority. God is pleased when we, His children, obey His Word (John 14:15). For example, He is pleased when we honor our parents (Eph. 6:1), when we tithe to our local church (Mal. 3:10, Heb. 2:4), when we love one another (1 John 4:7), and when we esteem others higher than ourselves (Phil. 2:3).