In Kenya, you risk a fine of Ksh.500 for not having a safety belt fastened while driving or on board.
However, there are moments police are not allowed to arrest you.
Here are some of the reasons
- A driver who is reversing, or supervising a learner driver who is reversing
- In a vehicle being used for police, fire and rescue services
- A passenger in a trade vehicle and you’re investigating a fault
- Driving a goods vehicle on deliveries that’s travelling no more than 50 metres between stops
- a licensed taxi driver who is ‘plying for hire’ or carrying passengers
- One who is medically ill and must be licensed to board without a safety belt, however you must produce your ‘Certificate of Exemption from Compulsory Seat Belt Wearing’
- Kids below the age of 12 years old